By Ealdormere Gazette Columnist Magistra Nicolaa de Bracton.
It isn't every day that one witnesses the creation of a new Peerage Order. In fact, it's safe to say that with the possible exception of Duke Finnvarr, there was no one in attendance at Practicum who had ever seen such a thing.
THL Giovanni d'Enzinas was put on vigil for the Order of Defence at Queen's Prize Tourney. For those who were not in attendance, the initial boon was begged between Their Majesties, as there was not yet a Master of Defence within Ealdormere. At Practicum, however, Master Giovanni of Trimaris -- or "Master Giovanni the Elder", as he was introduced--did this function at the vigil ceremony at Practicum, held in a short morning court. Rather than just the Order of Defence, Their Majesties then asked all the Peers there present to bear witness and to lend their support to the boon. Laurels, Knights, Pelicans, and Royal Peers all stepped forward to do so.
|Photo by David Gotlieb.|
The vigil ceremony then commenced. Seven speakers, representing the seven virtues, each came forward with an item to wear or contemplate during the vigil. These items were:
- · An arming coat, represent defense against harm, just as the candidate would defend others against harm
- · A gorget, to shine just as the candidate's heart would shine as a beacon of inspiration
- · A white scarf, representing honour without fear
- · A pair of gloves
- · A helm, as a symbol of nobility
- · A sword - Giovanni's own--representing skill