Wednesday 2 October 2013

Septentria's Ursine Might Victorious (well, a couple of times anyways) (Murder Melee in the Meadow XX, June 12-16, 2003)

By THLaird Colyne Stewart

A call of arms had gone out for Septentrian fighters to gather in the Barony of Ben Dunfirth to partake in the annual ten-man melee tournament. So many answered the call that Their Excellencies Corwyn and Domhnail were able to field not one, but two Septentrian teams. The first team, called Septentria's Might, was led by Baron Corwyn and consisted manly of members of House Hrogn and House Galbraith. The second team was called Ursus R Us and was led by Baroness Domhnail. It featured members of the Iron Companions, the Eoforwic City Guard, a good gentle from Calontir and members of House De Taahe and House Hrogn.

The day had begun cool, but by the time fighting was to begin the sun was beating down upon the land and I for one was sweating profusely. Their Excellencies and Lady Ysabeau Herbier de Vauvert had supplied sunshades for our fighters; their Excellencies had also provided water and food that they and Lady Thorfinna gra'feldr circulated to all those fighting for Septentria that day.

As had happened at Pikeman's Pleasure the week before, the first two teams to face each other were those led by Corwyn and Domhnail. I marched out with my spear and took my place behind my shieldwall. I was on the left end of the wall, and when I looked at the right end of Septentria's Might's shield wall I say Sir Berus Jarl. Knowing how much the good Jarl likes to flank I knew my seconds were numbered. When the call to lay on came Berus ran right at me and slew me.

I cannot speak of how things went for the Septentria's Might team from there on out, for when Ursus R Us was not on the field I tended to be under our shade tent, a hat pulled over my eyes and a bottle of water in my hands. I can say that Septentria's Might ended the day with two wins and that Ursus R Us got one. So to look at the numbers Septentria improved over last year. Last year, as you may remember, Septentria has a perfect day with a 0-10 record.

Though we may not have emerged as triumphantly from the field as we may have wanted to, I can say from first hand experience that Septentria fought well and hard and chivalrously that day. I for one felt proud to see so many Septentrian tabards displayed that day, and to see the dedication, resolve and courage displayed by our fighters.


So, next year, three teams?

No comments:

Post a Comment